CREATING A NEW USER RECORD:
Records that are not loaded into Alma must be manually created. Always search for a user record before creating a new one. If a match is found, click on the record and select “Open for Update.” If no record is found, select “Register New User.”
- Name – fill in field for first name, middle name, and last name.
- Primary Identifier – The user’s VUnetID. For non-affiliated patrons who do not have a VUnetID (patrons affiliated with other universities, schools, or division-specific users), follow these instructions to construct and alternate ID: First three letters of last name, first two letters of first name, two-digit birth month, two-digit birth date (LLLFFMMDD). For example, John Smith born March 12th would have an ALT_ID of SMIJO0312.
- NOTE THAT ALMA DOES NOT ALLOW YOU TO ENTER THE USER’S BARCODE DURING INITIAL RECORD CREATION. You have to save the record and then select “Edit User” to add the barcode – see EDITING AN EXISTING USER RECORD for instructions on how to do this.
- User Group – select the user’s profile from the drop-down menu according to the types chart.
- Expiration Date – Select the expiration date appropriate to the user’s ID type.
USER MANAGEMENT INFORMATION:
- Patron Has Institutional Record – this works as a toggle switch. Selecting yes indicates that the data will be overwritten by the owning system during the next scheduled feed, using the information entered in the primary identifier (VU-Net ID – is this Oracle or still called EDI?). Choose this when you are registering a VU-affiliated user.
- For non-VU affiliates, keep the toggle set as no. Enter a temporary password (how will this be constructed), and check the box next to “Force password change on next login.”
E-MAIL, ADDRESS, AND PHONE:
When registering a Vanderbilt-affiliated user, be sure to select school (for students) or work (faculty/staff). (Michael, is this correct?) The address and phone number for faculty should be for their workplace.
Once you have added the required information, click on “Update User” in the top right of the screen. Even though this is a new user record, this is the correct action to complete the registration.
EDITING AN EXISTING USER RECORD:
To edit a user record, choose “Manage Patron Services” from the Fulfillment menu, look up the user, and then select “Edit User Record.”