Request a Specific Item for a Patron
Best practice is to make title-level requests, to offer the best chance of the request being filled quickly, but it is possible to place item-level requests for specific issues or volumes, or a unique copy of a more common work (one with marginalia, for instance).
Patrons aren’t able to place item-level requests in the public catalog unless it’s for a specific volume or journal issue.
To request a specific item:
- Search for the item using the Physical Items search type, the Title search criteria, and the title. You can also use other criteria and terms as appropriate.
- In this case, the request is to be placed on a specific item, so it must begin at the item record for that item.
- Locate the item you want in the results list
- Click on the row action item list icon (the ellipsis) and select Request
- In the Request type field, select Patron physical item request
- Scan or manually type patron ID number into the Requester field
- There must be at least one circulating item with a barcode, otherwise, an error alert appears in red above.
- Add any special instructions or comments about the request in the Notes field
- Select the pick-up location
- No locations will appear if there are errors in entered fields above
- Campus is a setting not currently used by Harvard, so click on No Campus to get a list of potential library pick-up locations or click on a library already listed.
- Complete the additional request attributes as needed. (These are optional.)
- Click Submit to place the request.
- A message box at the top of the page confirms the request and displays a request ID.
- If you or the patron will need to refer to the request ID at a later date, we recommend copying it down.
- Request IDs are generated and displayed only when a request is first made. This number must be copied and saved by the patron or the staff member in order to be used later.